Monday, February 22, 2016

Four Books to read to your four-year-old perfectionist


Little Miss has decided that she cannot wear dresses anymore because her hair is "not perfect enough for them." There is always "a little piece that sticks up in the back" and therefore dresses are a no go. Before now, she insisted she must only wear dresses so now her drawers are overflowing with dresses and we have a real pants shortage. I'm not sure where this idea has come from, but I see it in other areas as well where she is already on a quest towards perfectionism and anything that does not live up to her vision results in a meltdown.

I've told her it's okay if her hair sticks up. I love her hair, to me it is perfect! But anyone who has tousled with four year old logic knows none of this will do. I decided to enlist the help of my wiser friend with an older daughter who has also struggled with similar frustrations.

She recommended several great books that got the message across in simple but effective ways.

1. Crazy Hair -  By Neil Gaman and Dave McKean



This book was the one my daughter was the most excited to read. I think the picture sold her.
The name is apt. This guy truly has crazy hair. In fact there is a whole magical world happening inside said "crazy hair." And if you try to comb it, well lets just say don't.

2. Beautiful Oops - By Barney Salzburg


I think this book was the most apropos, and equally loved by my 20 month old. It's about seeing the beauty in mistakes, and letting things evolve creatively.  Fabulous fun book. Wish I'd had it when I was in art school!

3. The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes - By Mark Pett and Gary Rubinstein



This one is about a little girl who never makes mistakes, but has a rather joyless existence.
Spoiler, she finds out in the end that not being perfect can be freeing.

4. I'm Gonna Love Me - Jamie Lee Curtis & Laura Cornell



Sweet book about loving everything about yourself, especially the things that make you unique.



After reading these books for a few nights, I'm happy to report that dresses have made a comeback!

My next quest is to find books dealing with disappointment.

Let me know if you have any recommendations!




No comments: